<

Fallowfield neighbourhood in Ottawa-Gatineau



Fallowfield Village lies south-west of Bells Corners, at the junction of Fallowfield Rd (which runs west from roughly the airport) and Richmond Rd (which runs southwest from downtown Ottawa). The village is a bedroom community for the rest of Ottawa, with no retail or commercial enterprises in the village of fewer than 1000 residents. The community is surrounded by farmland to the south and west, and with forests and a large gravel pit operation to the east. There is a large car parts operation to the north on Old Richmond Rd.

Fallowfield Road runs from Prince of Wales Drive along the Rideau River and runs west past Merivale Road and Woodroffe Avenue and then through Barrhaven to Cedarview Rd (and from there into Bell's Corners). The community has major transit access at Fallowfield Station which services OC Transpo and VIA Rail station.

Fallowfield Village was originally settled back in the 1820s by Irish immigrants, from Tipperary and Cork Counties. The village has two churches along Steeple Hill, one Catholic, and one United. The cornerstone for the United (then Methodist) church was laid by Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald. In the days of horse and wagon, it was a stopping off point and had four hotels, three carriage shops, two blacksmiths, a grist mill, a tailor, a shoemaker, a cheese factory, and a general store. Once the car came into general use, these all closed down

Homes

The community has only single-family homes on large well-treed lots.

Schools

Public high school students in this area go to South Carleton High School in Richmond.

Shopping

Shoppers head either northwest into Kanata or east onto Barrhaven.

Recreation

The area has lots of outdoors opprotunties, but few formal recreational venues. See nearby Barrhaven

Community Map

Local Search & Free Listing
 
Translate:
Popular Links:  Click to expand this menu

Realtor & Relocation Search:  

Realtor & Relocation Search Form...